Friday, February 13, 2009

Bald is beautiful... I hope!

A dear friend of mine started chemo today.  She was the first person to really welcome our family here and made me feel excited to be in our ward at church.  When she found out that she has cancer, she was worried about losing her hair.  So last night we had a head shaving.  She shaved her head.  I shaved my head and so did another friend in church.  We did it to support her and show her love.  

I am so glad I did it.  I love my friend and pray that she gets well and this time will be quick for her.

Shaving my head has given me an unexpected perspective...  I never realized how much I let what I look like (or thought I looked like) affect my day to day life.  I thought I had good self esteem.  But I didn't.  If I didn't do my hair before going out, I felt frumpy.  I don't even like styling my hair and yet I continued to get hair cuts that I had to style to look "good".  Why?Shaving my head as gotten rid of all of that.  I have nothing to hide behind now and it feels so great.  What a difference.  :)  I just feel like smiling all day.  People have said how nice I look, how my eyes stand out now.  All compliments I wanted to hear but I things I didn't believe.

So glad it's done!


2 comments:

nonapearl said...

This is AWESOME! :) You look really cute. Not everyone can pull off a shaved head.

I did this in high school, but for purely vain reasons. I'll tell you about it tonight at dinner!

Prayers sent for your friends too!

:) Nona

Anonymous said...

Wow, what an amazingly supportive friend you must be to do something like that! What a blessing you must be to her now!