Sunday, February 01, 2009

paint chip book

A while back, I told you about a paint chip album I was working on.  I finished it but spaced showing you the final project.
Here's how it turned out and a brief tutorial if you want to make your own.
 
You will need to start off with a subject in mind and a collection of paint chips.  The paint chips are the pages of your album and can be any size, color or shape.  I found a nice collection of chips called "waterscape" and grabbed one of each color.
I laid out the pages in and then measured the width and length so I would know how big to make my cover.  For the cover, all you need is some chipboard.  I got mine at the art store for 50 cents for a 8 1/2x11 piece.  I covered my cut chipboard with background and texture paper from Close To My Heart.  I think this paper is from the Aspen collection.  You can see the rest of the paper on my website www.shirk.myctmh.com <--- shameless plug for my store ;)

I went over to Akli beach one afternoon and just shot pics of things I found and saw there.  I love going to this beach which is why I picked it for my subject.
Each photo was cropped and then mounted on the paint chip.  I tried to coordinate the color on the paint chip to highlight something in the picture.  
If you cut 3/8" pieces of paper, the strips will fit into a label maker.  Just punch the words and when they come out of the label maker, you can sand them and get these awesome labels.  Cool, huh?  A white or black core card stock works best to do this.  
I embellished a  few of the pages for fun.  Some have ribbon and others (like the sea glass pic) just have the subject punched out and made 3D.  You can see an example of a couple of pages below.

I have a Rubi Coil and can bind my own books.  You can always get yours bound at a copy store or do it yourself with ribbon, rings, binding tape, anything you want.  :)

These are very fun to make.  It is also a very inexpensive way to create an album for an event.

Please email me or post a link here if you create your own album.  I would love to see it!

No comments: